A very quick overview
As always, my thanks to all Fodorites who helped me in the planning of this trip.
We flew into Vancouver in late April, spent a week in a rental apartment near Main Street and 30th.
Took a ferry to Victoria and stayed overnight before picking up a car and driving to Ucluelet for 4 nights, returning for another night in Victoria then ferry back and three nights in another rental in North Vancouver.
We loved: Stanley Park, The Museum of Anthropology, Lynn Canyon Park, Victoria, Ucluelet, Whale Watching
Slightly disappointed by: Granville Island, The Aquarium, Chinatown - not to say any of these were bad, but not as enjoyable as expected.
Surprised by: The number of homeless people/beggars (I can understand why, geographically). Prices - particularly house prices and the cost of foods in supermarkets - I looked at salaries for my profession and immediately decided I would simply not be able to afford to live here (I appreciate there must be cheaper areas than those in which I was staying).
Dining out - was hit and miss: cannot really say we had a bad meal, but some were indifferent. Loved the huge numbers of local beers available some were exceptionally good - there must be 30+ breweries in Vancouver.
Overall we had a great time. With the benefit of hindsight I'd probably have spent slightly less time in Vancouver and more on the Island.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 http://www.appleofhealth.com/revella-brow/
- 2 Vancouver/Seattle Trip
- 3 Newfoundland in early June
- 4 HELP: Winnipeg to Grand Forks,ND
- 5 Vancouver to Toronto car or train?
- 6 Toronto to N.F. to Buffalo without a car. Need help.
- 7 Tweak itinerary for Canadian Rockies
- 8 Nova Scotia in July
- 9 Cape Breton in early June
- 10 Magdalen Islands in early June
- 11 Magdalen Islands
- 12 Grround transportation from Vancouver Airport
- 13 How to break the drive from Montreal to Niagara falls?
- 14 Is it too late to plan Banff & Jasper for this July?
- 15 Passport question for Int flight
- 16 Banff Jasper Itinerary Help - Need ASAP Married Couple 9 days
- 17 Itinerary for 10 day Maritime trip
- 18 Icefields Parkway
- 19 3 Nights in Cape Breton
- 20 Parking in Niagara & Toronto
- 21 Itinerary Needed for Pacific NW, Canadian Rockies & Vancouver
- 22 Driving From Vancouver to Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise all over
- 23 Canadian Rockies (Banff, Yoho, Jasper) in July
- 24 Victoria, Canada
- 25 Car rental drop off fees or change itinerary Victoria to Penticton
Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
A very quick overview